Monday, January 30, 2017

Loss of Faith / Politics


I have been fairly vocal on social media about politics as of late - much to the consternation of certain family and friends.  I realize that there is a lot of chatter and shouting and information overload, most of which is slanted very strongly for one side or the other, and it is hard to tell the truth from the... other truth... from the alternative facts... from the... all of it.  

That being said, I am not going to be silent.  I will try and be more deliberate in my choice of words, but I will not put my head in the sand and just accept things that are happening.  I should not have to.  NO ONE should have to accept what they firmly believe to be wrong.  Turning your head away from injustice is allowing it to continue.

People are angry because they are scared and people are scared because the world has gone dark and evil and it feels like no one is doing anything about it.  The media is trying to scare us by feeding us too much information without actually telling us the truth.  

My mother has been calm and quiet throughout this - she is unhappy with what is happening but believes that 'God has a plan'.  I envy her that unshakable faith as it must be comforting when the world seems to be falling apart all around us.  

I realized that I am struggling the most because I do not have that kind of faith.  I had put my faith in the inherent goodness of people - and my faith has been shaken to the core.  I still want to believe that the majority of people are good and kind and generous, but it becomes more and more difficult as the days go on to find that spark of belief.

So I will BE that person.  I will be good, kind, and generous.  I will be strong, and brave, and outspoken.  I will be a safe space for those who need it, a defender for those who are afraid, and a light in the overwhelming darkness.  I will do what I can, for even though I am only one person, I am one person who can make a difference in this world.


No comments:

Post a Comment